Sunday, February 12, 2012

I just watched A Little Bit of Heaven as per my brother's recommendation about one and a half hours ago. It was under the new-release rent category so I figured why not watch a light, happy movie before going to sleep cos we're gonna have to return it tomorrow anyway. Little did I know that it was quite the opposite. It was brutally sad, and that the cover was so deceivingly cheerful, I didn't bother to read the synopsis at the back and just assumed that it's a fun romantic comedy.

Deceivingly cheerful.

Aside from the fact that I was caught off guard, I think it was worth watching and losing some sleep for. It's about a gal who finds out that she has a terminal-stage colon cancer and losing chances at curing it. She had to die in the end, and it makes me think that sometimes we're just so oblivious to the fact that life itself is the most important belonging of ours, and it's just really taken for granted. I mean, if you ask me what's the first thing I'm gonna do if I find out that I'm not gonna live for long, I'd for sure, without any doubt, say that I'm gonna skip all my classes, eat anything that I like, and spend all my time left with my loved ones. That's good enough for me. 

It sounds simple, isn't it? I mean it's ultimately the things that matter to me, or perhaps to most of us. But why do we spend so much time, energy and wrinkles going after the things that are not even in the top 3 or 5 of our bucket list anyway? Well, I guess when we have those things that we take for granted, we start going down the list. But little did we know that as we go down the list, we let go of the ones that we have, such as taking care of our health, enjoying life and connecting with others. 

I think it's good to have a reminder once in a while. And it's good that I decided to spend my evening watching this. Well, a note to self: time for a new doze of romantic comedies. 

cheerios  

0 comments: